Experience Peru with semester exchange program in Lima.
Take hospitality, culinary and language courses that transfer back to UH at Universidad San Ignacio de Loyola (USIL), Hilton College's partner in Peru.
Located in the capital city of Peru (Lima), USIL is considered one of the top hospitality schools in the region. The school's superior facilities and classroom kitchen layouts are particularly attractive to students studying the culinary arts.
Lima, the main gateway to Peru, is a major city bustling with living history. An ethnic melting pot, featuring pre-Hispanic, colonial and modern elements, the city sits on the Pacific Ocean and features sporting activities (surfing, anyone?), museums and an active nightlife. While in Peru, you won't want to miss the chance to visit the world-famous Machu Picchu archaeological ruins or perhaps explore the Amazon River!
Three or four Hilton College students will be selected each Fall and Spring semester for this exciting study-abroad opportunity.
NOTE: Academic terms in Peru run from March-July (Semester I) and August-December (Semester II).
- Must be a declared HRM major with at least sophomore status
- Minimum cumulative GPA of 2.75
- Must have at least one semester remaining at UH upon return from abroad
- Must have a valid passport (if you do not have a passport, apply immediately from the U.S. Department of State)
How to Apply
- Complete and submit an HRM Study Abroad application. The application includes submitting a résumé, essay and naming a faculty reference.
- The HRM Study Abroad Selection Committee will review applications, and students will be informed of their status within two weeks of the application deadline.
- Assessment of the application is based on academic qualifications, integration of USIL's curriculum with the applicant's degree plan and strength of essay.
- Selected applicants will meet with Lydia Westbrook regarding their application packages to USIL.
- Selected applicants will also meet with the UH Office of International Studies and Programs (OISP).
Selected Applicants Agree to:
- Sign a Student Responsibilities Contract.
- Apply for an International Educational Fee Scholarship (IEFS)—deadline March 1 (fall) and October 1 (spring)
- Comply with all requirements, deadlines and procedures of the UH Office of International Studies & Programs (OISP). Please note that OISP requires an additional application form and a number of documents for outgoing study abroad students.
- Spend up to four hours assisting the Hilton College with study abroad activities (i.e. promoting experience at All Students Organization Fair, giving short presentations to students about the experience, greeting and assisting incoming exchange students, advising outgoing exchange students, etc.) during the semester after returning.
- University of Houston tuition and fees for one semester
- Airfare—round trip Houston to Lima (LIM) (approximately $1,000 as of January 2014)
- Visa fee (approximately $30-$100, depending on visa type)
- Housing—student housing available for about $400/month at Casa de Don Ignacio
- Local transportation—students generally take taxis to school at nominal cost
- International Health Insurance valid for Peru
- Meals (breakfast included with student housing)
- Textbooks or materials, as specified by USIL syllabus
- UH Office of International Studies & Programs (OISP) Administrative Fee—$125
- Personal expenses and incidentals
Personal preferences affect the total cost of your program. Participants should plan for the trip and budget appropriately.