Before You Go
|Be prepared for your adventures abroad.|
Before you travel to France, Mexico, Hong Kong, Australia or any other study-abroad destination, you'll need to take care of several basics.
1. First, you need a passport. Passport information from the U.S. Department of State is available here. Remember, your parents will need a passport if they want to visit you.
2. Scholarship funds are available through the University of Houston's Office of International Studies and Programs. Students in Hilton College study-abroad programs are required to apply for an International Education Fee Scholarship (IEFS)—information and deadlines can be found here.
3. You'll also need to register your trip with the U.S. Department of State. This is a University of Houston requirement for students in study-abroad programs. Go here to register your overseas trip.
4. You also might want more than basic insurance. As a University of Houston student in a study-abroad program, your basic insurance needs are covered under a UH policy with AIG International Services. If you want additional coverage, there are other options available. Macori Inc. specializes in health insurance for students in travel- and study-abroad programs. Find more information here.
5. Finally, it's a good idea to research how much money you'll need on your trip, and to do that you'll need a currency converter. You'll find a good one here.
With these tasks completed, you are five steps closer to beginning your study-abroad adventure!