|Outlining international admissions requirements. |
NEW STATE OF TEXAS REQUIREMENT: Bacterial meningitis vaccinations are now required for ALL incoming and returning students to the University of Houston. For more information, click here.
We're delighted that you are considering applying to Hilton College. Here are the steps you need to take to apply if you are an international student. Undergraduate applicants who hold a non-immigrant visa, are not permanent residents or who have completed their education outside the U.S. must apply under international-admission guidelines. These rules apply to entering freshmen and transfer students.
All International Applicants Must:
- Submit a $75, nonrefundable application fee to the University of Houston.
- Send your high-school and college transcripts either by mail or electronically to the Office of Admissions. High-school transcripts should include class rank. Once transcripts are submitted, they become property of the University of Houston and can't be returned. Transcripts received for applicants who do not enroll will be kept on file for one year.
- If you graduated from a U.S. high school, a U.S.-accredited high school overseas or a U.S. university, or if you're from a native English-speaking country, your SAT or ACT scores must be sent to the University of Houston. When registering for the SAT, include the University's SAT code, 6870. When registering for the ACT, include the University's ACT code, 4236.
- International students who did not graduate from a U.S. school, and are from a non-native English speaking country, must take the TOEFL.
- Apply using Apply Texas. As an international student, you'll also need to submit additional forms.
For freshman applicants who graduated from a U.S. high school, a U.S.-accredited high school overseas or a U.S. university, the following criteria apply:
For freshman applicants who did not attend a U.S. school, the Office of International Admissions will conduct a formal evaluation to determine your grade point average by U.S. standards. Please submit an English translation of all completed coursework to: University of Houston, Office of International Admissions, Welcome Center, 4400 University Drive, Houston, TX 77204-2023.
- If you graduate in the top 10 percent of your high school class, you will be automatically admitted, but still must submit SAT I or ACT scores.
- Otherwise, you must be in the top 25 percent of your high school class and have a minimum SAT I score of 1000 or ACT score of 21;
- OR you must rank in the top 50 percent of your high school class and have a minimum SAT I score of 1100 or ACT score of 24;
- OR you must rank in the top 75 percent of your class and have a minimum SAT I score of 1150 or ACT score of 25.
- You must also meet the high-school academic core requirements: 4 units of English, 3 units of mathematics (including at least algebra I, algebra II and geometry), 2 units of laboratory science (including at least one unit of biology, chemistry or physics) and 3 units of social studies.
All entering undergraduate students, unless exempt, are required to take an assessment test prior to enrolling in classes. The approved assessment tests are:
The minimum passing scores for each of these tests are set by the state—each institution can establish its own score requirement at or above these minimums.
- THEA (formerly named TASP)
- COMPASS and
For information on how to schedule a TSI assessment or THEA, contact University Testing Services at 713.743.5444.
Good luck with the admissions process and we hope to see you on our campus soon!